Sunderland Lighthouse was built in 1803. To the left can be seen the North Pier Lighthouse (on the other side of the pier). The North Pier was built 1716 - 1746 after Charles II granted letters to approve it's construction in 1669. The pier was completed in 1785 and the lighthouse constructed in 1803. Coal was shipped from the port as far back as 1396.